Sunday, May 13, 2012

34 weeks and Delusional

We are definitely in the home stretch. Our neighbors keep telling me I look like I'm going to pop! 

We've reached 34 weeks and after 2 NCT Antenatal classes, I'm pretty sure I want to try for a natural birth. For some reason, I don't think the pain of childbirth will be unmanageable, but as I have absolutely nothing to base this on, perhaps I am just completely delusional? I expressed this opinion to my brother Jesse last night and he immediate response was "Don't be a hero.." 

But we are going 100% NHS and the birthing units are Chelsea Westminster are really nice and can only be used by women with low risk pregnancies wanting a natural birth. They are private with mats, birthing balls and a birthing pool for labor. There are only 3 currently at the hospital, but there is a 65% epidural rate at the hospital as well, so maybe there won't be a lot of competition for it? I will have one on one Midwife care no matter what and able to be transferred to the labor ward if I REALLY want to go the epidural route, but apparently 89% of women who use the birthing unit stick it out. The other 11% are transferred out because labor stops and they need to be induced or because of complications. I don't have to have a birth plan until week 36 so I have a bit more time to think about it. It just seems like such a better experience for the baby to go naturally. We shall see... 

 
How far along? 34 Weeks

Total weight gain: 22 lbs  (down 2 lbs from last week but I guess that's what happens when you aren't eating at a buffet for every meal!)

Maternity clothes? Enjoying them more and more. I'm still able to piece together a few cute outfits every now and then! 

Stretch marks? Nope. Hang in there skin!
Sleep: Sleeping OK. I have really vivid dreams that feel like I'm watching movies all night long so I don't feel overly rested when I wake up. My hips are also starting to fall asleep a bit if I lay on one side for too long!


Best moment this week:  Being able to "rub" her awake so she kicks me where I rub her! Setting up the crib... it's making everything VERY real! Deep cleaning the bedroom... it's really nice living in a fresh house.   
Miss Anything? My waist - their are some really cute summer clothes out there!! I can't wait to be able to run again and be fit. Although I still feel really fit overall... I'm mostly belly!  
 
Movement: Strong stretches. She gets the hiccups at least once a day which feels pretty funny.  

Food cravings: Cookies... and doughnuts... things you're not supposed to eat!
 
Anything making you queasy or sick: Cars. My car sickness has really intensified, especially if I have an empty stomach. 
 
Gender: Baby girl
 
Labor Signs: Nope, but apparently I'm full term in 2 weeks! eek!
 
Symptoms: Heartburn is back with a vengeance - I even threw up once this week. Awful! My feet really hurt too if I've been on them for more than 30 minutes at a time. My feet aren't used to my new weight! 

Belly Button in or out? Still considered in. I don't know that I will get an outtie, but it's sure close.

Wedding rings on or off? Off mostly. My fingers started swelling awfully yesterday and some of the girls in Baby Class told me they can't get theirs off so perhaps I will retire them until after baby is here. I think the 8th month I retain a lot of water or so I've read.
 
Happy or Moody most of the time: Very very happy :)  A bit anxious. Things are starting to get serious... baby will be here soon!
 
Looking forward to:  My mom coming. She's coming June 18th. It's not getting here soon enough! Happy mother's day to all the mama's out there :) 

1 comment:

  1. Go with which ever option you feel most comfortable with. I opted for the epidural route, but never managed to get one. Everything worked out fine without it :)

    ReplyDelete