Wednesday, May 9, 2012

New Friends at School

Our NCT Antenatal classes started last night. We chose to go with the NCT (rather than the NHS) in an effort to meet other couples/new parents in our neighborhood. Mission accomplished! 

There were 7 other preggo mamas, three of which brought their other halves (Andrew thought he was going to be the only one there for awhile). The class shows exactly how international Kensington is as there was only one British mama there (no Brit men either). The were two Iranian Mamas, which I really liked, a Brit mama, a Russian mama, an Irish mama, a German mama and an Italian Mama. I was the furthest along by a few weeks, yet the smallest belly! Iranian Mama Tannaz is due the day after me and she is twice as big as me... Had I not been to the midwives earlier yesterday, I would have been more worried. I am looking good to go - everything is as it should be! Baby Girl even turned around as of yesterday, she's no longer breech :) 

But Antenatal class was sobering to say the least. We brainstormed questions we have about birth and labor and then the stages of labor. I didn't realise all the turning involved of the baby when you push her out and the "transition" phase I am not really looking forward to (the one they show on TV where the moms freak out and curse at the dad and say they can't do it). Perhaps I am completely in denial, but I really do not think labor will be as bad as I keep reading about/hearing. I am hopeful! Probably foolish... 


In the UK, you should not go to the hospital until your contractions are strong and 3 minutes apart or they will send you home! The majority of your first stage of labor will be done at home, which I kind of like because for first babies, the first stage can take 6 - 20 hours! YIKES! I didn't realise the pushing part can take 1-2 hours... SO MUCH INFORMATION! 

The next class is Saturday where we will talk about "Coping with Labor" - you aren't supposed to say the dirty P word... PAIN - and I am supposed to research a pain relief method that appeals to me... I'm choosing epidural! From what I have read so far, I will not use any other pain meds because of the side effects that I will surely feel - nausea and vomiting... i mean, who wants all that while you are in the middle of labor?!

Another takeaway - research Hypnobirthing. Apparently, mothers who use this technique remember the experience more positively.  Never heard of it.

They definitely promote Natural Birth here, even though they say their primary goal is to give us information. I must say... I am starting to drink the Koolaide. But I am told if I insist on an epidural, that I can have one... whew! 

The cutest part of Antenatal Class? There will be a reunion in September where we get pictures of all the babies together! Jean, our teacher, showed us some previous class pics last night... soooo sweet! 

Sample Reunion Pic

No comments:

Post a Comment