Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My MASSIVE to Do List

I've been emailing with my friend Amy who is due with Baby #2 in like 2 weeks! She has made me sobering aware that I have not done much in preparation for what's coming. I mean, I hit 34 weeks tomorrow... I should really be buckling down and taking this seriously! 

I did a little searching this morning and this is apparently the To-Do list I should be working from: 

Learn about third-trimester prenatal visits and tests 

You'll most likely have a checkup every two weeks from 28 to 36 weeks, then switch to once-a-week visits until you deliver. 

I have a Midwife appt today so hopefully I'll get a better idea of what to expect!

Consider more classes 

In addition to a childbirth class, you may want to consider classes on baby care, breastfeeding, and infant CPR. Many hospitals offer these, and you can also ask your caregiver or childbirth education teacher for a recommendation.

Our Antenatal Classes start tonight! I definitely want to take a pediatric emergency medicine course as well... it's the girl scout in me! 

Prepare for breastfeeding
 
The midwives gave me a video to watch. I should probably get on that. Although, I have watched several coaching videos on youtube... No sweat, I got this ;) 

Choose a doctor for your baby

Today I plan to ask how this works in the UK. I am assuming I would go to my normal GP, but I want to make sure they will provide the same vaccinations as in the States. I am definitely pro-vaccinating my baby.

Think about big decisions

Lucky for me (thanks to my loving husband) I will be staying home with the baby for awhile. I am also thinking about donating her cordblood - maybe it will help someone in need?

Assemble your baby gear

* The pram is assembled (stroller) and ready to go. 
* The crib, I think I may do that this week some time. 
* The changer won't be delivered until the 26th of May... that may be a project for Andrew.
* We were going to hold off on getting the car seat, but it seems to be becoming more and more necessary with our plans over the next few months. 
* I'm obsessed with the nap nanny. I will need to get this too. 

Not sure what other gear I am leaving out!  

Set up a safe place for your baby to sleep

Baby girl will be sleeping in our room through the summer. I definitely want to make sure I am up on my info to prevent SIDs.


 Learn about coping with labor pain
 
There's no one right way to deliver a baby: Every woman's experience with pain is different and every labor is different. But whether you know you want pain medication during childbirth or a natural birth, it's good to learn about your options now.

I have briefly read about this. My gut is telling me to go as far as I can naturally, but always have the option of an epidural! The thing is here, the Midwives really don't want you to have the epidural because then a doctor has to be involved - they can't take the lead anymore. The other pain management options don't really appeal to me.

Know the stages of labor
 
For first-time moms, labor takes an average of 15 hours, though it's not uncommon to last more than 20. (For women who've previously had a vaginal birth, it averages eight hours.) The process is divided into three main stages.

Hmm... better get on this because all my daily app announcements keep warning me of the signs of early labor... not psyched about that. 

Create a birth plan

Childbirth is unpredictable, and chances are you won't follow your birth plan to the letter. Still, it's helpful to figure out your preferences for pain management techniques, who'll be present during delivery, whether your baby will "room in" with you after birth, and more beforehand. 

Wash your baby's clothing and bedding

Check!

Start lining up helpers 
My mom is coming for 7 weeks! Whew!

Commemorate your belly

Some nice bump pictures would be good... Maybe next weekend?

Consider top baby costs and how to save 
I should definitely look into this more... I'm hoping breastfeeding as long as possible will severely reduce these!

Read up on baby care
 
I have What to Expect: The First Year. I'm ready! ooh.. AND the Hot Mamas Handbook. Sorted. 

Pack your bag for the hospital or birth center

Key things to bring include your insurance card, toiletries, comfy clothing, a going-home outfit for your baby, a camera or video camera (plus charger!), and snacks for after labor. You may also want to bring a box of chocolates or other treat for the nurses (not required, but appreciated!).

I will have to think about this a bit more...

Have your house cleaned 
Hoping Andrew and my mom will help me with this!

Stock up on household supplies 
To avoid having to make trips to the store with your newborn, stock up now on pantry staples, frozen food, toiletries, medicine, toilet paper, shampoo – even extra pairs of underwear! And of course, make sure you have newborn necessities like diapers, wipes, baby clothing, and bottles and formula if you plan to use these.

Great advice.

Make food for after your baby's born

Hmm... our freezer is the size of a shoe box. Hoping my mom will help with this! 

Install your baby's car seat 
Still trying to figure out how we will get home from the hospital. It's only a 10 minute walk but I have a feeling I will NOT be up to walking. 

Tour your hospital or birth center 
Yes... still need to do this...

Make a plan for when labor starts 
Long before the first contractions hit, you'll want a firm plan in place. Your doctor or midwife should give you a clear set of guidelines for when to call and – unless you're having a home birth – when to head to the hospital or birth center. Decide who will take you there, and have a few back-up folks lined up to help if you need it. Know the route you'll take – this may sound silly, but it will be one fewer thing to think about. This includes learning where to park and which entrance to use when it's 
time to check yourself in.

Create an online birth announcement

This will be fun! I think I will do this and set it up so I just need to pop in the picture when she's here! 

Look out for late-pregnancy complications 
Unfortunately, pregnancy complications pop up in the third trimester, too – including premature labor and preeclampsia. Be on the lookout for symptoms that warrant a call to your doctor or midwife.

Great...

Find baby name inspiration

Check! We are pretty set here :)

Slow down

Toward the end of your pregnancy, slow down and save up your energy for labor day (and beyond). If you've been sitting or lying down for a long time, don't jump up too quickly. Blood can pool in your feet and legs, causing a temporary drop in your blood pressure when you get up that can make you feel dizzy.

I think I will send this one to Andrew. He is forever dragging me all over the place! 

Learn what your body will be like after birth
 
This is the most disturbing reading I've been doing. I need to explore this one a lot more.

Stock up on light entertainment

Now's not the time to start Moby Dick or War and Peace. Instead, pick up some magazines and not-too-challenging novels, buy DVDs of your favorite TV shows or find them online, or fill your DVR. Once your baby arrives, you'll be too sleep-deprived and busy to watch entire movies or do serious reading – but you'll be glad to have easy, quick ways to get an entertainment fix when you get the chance.

Don't panic if you go past your due date

Easier said than done! I'm ready to have this baby now! 


Well, if that isn't daunting, I don't know what is! 


2 comments:

  1. No worries... Everything will according to plan ( even of it does not look anything like you had in mind). Enjoy every minute and don't forget Andrew can finish anything you don't have time for before you get back from the hospital :) enjoy the last couple of weeks and rest up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do my best! I started watching a few birth videos though... that will really add the anxiety on!

    ReplyDelete