Saturday, May 19, 2012

35 weeks

35 weeks... less than 5 to go! Today was our last group NCT class. There is a breastfeeding session on Monday where a lady will literally show us how it's done, but funny enough, the dad's are trying to get out of this! 

The topic today - life once baby gets here! I like these classes because they really give the dads ideas as to how to be engaged in the  new family equation since honestly, the first few weeks are going to be nothing but feeding, diapers and nightly wipe downs for baby girl. 

An interesting tip picked up in class today was the site mumsandme.com. It's basically Groupon (which I have just weened myself off of) for new Mamas! I bought the deal for today which was a Family photo session by a "Celebrity and Royalty" photographers! I'm hoping for a REALLY nice first family pic from this :)


My biggest takeaway from today was the video we watched was called Happiest Baby on the Block. It was done by an American Pediatrician and it taught us about the "Calming" reflex and the "5 S's" that trigger it. 

The first 3 months after the baby is born is considered the "4th trimester" because human babies are born at a much early stage than any other mammal. Therefore, they will need their environment to mimic the womb during these months in order too keep them happy as they really are incapable of doing much else. Apparently, they startle themselves really easily and in comes the "5 S's" to the rescue - Swaddle, Side/Stomach, Shushing, swing, sucking.

If your baby is upset and seemingly inconsolable, you are to start by swaddling the baby. If your baby is not calmed by this alone, you are to hold your baby on his/her side. In the video, it was AMAZING how quickly the babies were calmed by this! BUT if this continues not to soothe baby, the next "S" is to Shush the baby. This one was really disturbing to me. Dr. Karp literally got right next to the crying baby's ear and went "SHHHHHH!!!!!!" REALLY loud into it! Like uncomfortably loud. It was kind of creepy. You are supposed to Shush as loud as the baby is crying. Andrew and I were thoroughly disturbed, and the babies had a look on their face like "WTF?!" BUT I have to say... they sure quieted down fast! We stopped watching the video at this point, but we all definitely got the gist of the 5 S's. Me, personally, may leave the Shush option as my very last "S" option! 

After class, the entire group went to lunch around the corner and talked with each other for 3 hours! I love all the girls! Tannaz and Gelareh are not currently working as well, so we made plans to get together during the week! The rest of the group will try to get together on weekends until the babies start arriving! We have already started planning post baby walking groups and fun stuff like that since we all live within a short walking distance of each other. I am really happy we were able to meet so many wonderful people in the neighborhood! Who knew, having a baby - the secret to making friends in London. 





How far along? 35 Weeks

Total weight gain: 23.5 lbs - Apparently Baby Girl will be putting on mad weight these next few weeks so I'm guessing that number will keep going up! 
Maternity clothes? Essential now. Although my sweats are the most comfy outfits!

Stretch marks? Nope. Hang in there skin!
 
Sleep: Sleeping OK. Wishing the dreaming would cut out for just a couple nights... although now I keep dreaming that she's arrived already and boy is she cute ;)

Best moment this week:  Packing my hospital bag... it all feels so close!
   
Miss Anything? My waist... sushi.. wine... the usual. 
 
Movement: Strong stretches. And she goes nuts during baby class! I wonder if she can "feel" the other babies around. She still remains most active at night.   

Food cravings: Nothing really... water, maybe? I'm ALWAYS thirsty. 
 
Anything making you queasy or sick: Being tired. 
 
Gender: Baby girl
 
Labor Signs: Nope, one more week and I hit the full term mark! Althought technically I will still have 3 more weeks from that point... but that should fly!
 
Symptoms: Heartburn. That will be the best thing about the baby getting here - no more heartburn! 

Belly Button in or out? I do not consider it an outtie, but Andrew says there is no way it can be considered still an innie. I'm in Belly Button Limbo! 

Wedding rings on or off? On but I've had to split them - engagement ring on one hand, wedding bands on the other. But when I'm hot (which seems to be ALL the time) my fingers swell something AWFUL! 
 
Happy or Moody most of the time: Very very happy :)  Touch wood - I can't really say that I've had crazy mood swings during this pregnancy :)
 
Looking forward to:  The movie What to Expect when Expecting. We plan to see it next weekend and this will probably be one of the LAST times we go to a movie peacefully for a very long time. LOL. 
  

1 comment: